Monday 20 October 2008

When angels guard handbags.


Train tickets - you try and be organised and buy them in advance, you buy return tickets but then can't remember where you put them. When the day of travel arrives you're a nervous wreck, and all before you've even set foot on the train.

Last week I travelled to London for a few days to attend a conference. I confess to hesitating when making the decision as to where I should store the return part of the ticket. I remember being quite intentional about putting it somwhere 'safe' for fear that the ticket might get lost amongst the array of ticket stubs and receipts which seem to so easily accumilate in the depths of my handbag. Imagine my dilhema when on the day of return I had totally forgotten where the 'safe' place was!
It was nowhere obvious! The contents of my handbag, suitcase and pockets were strewn all over the back row of conference chairs along with all my dirty washing. No sign! I found numerous tickets dating back to last year which though totally worthless seem to invisibly stick there when one has a bag clear out!

The kind conference organiser happened to be standing there and offered to help me buy another one. Grateful but refusing his offer, intent on finding the lost one, I started rummaging again! He was then inspired to offer to pray. Well...... nothing ventured nothing gained!

I said a loud AMEN to the forthcoming prayer which was poured out with such compassion and tenderness, reminding God that he was a loving father and didn't want any of His children to lose money. Angels were declared to have been over my ticket and by the end of the prayer I was so full of confidence that I would find the ticket that I set off for the train station!

Have you ever been to Marble Arch in rush hour?
Have you ever tried to stand still in the middle of rush hour?
Have you ever tried to find a place where you wouldn't be knocked, bashed or walked upon in rush hour?
You'll agree with me then that it was a miracle that I found a tiny space protected by machines and barriers, cordoned off from the rest of humanity in which to search once more for the lost ticket! and there it was...nestled amongst the credit cards I had searched through seemingly a million times already!

I travelled home cherishing the thought there is a God in heaven who just gave me a whaking big kiss!

No comments: