Thursday 9 October 2008

If you haven't got a sense of direction you need a sense of humour!

Today, for the second time in a few weeks I found myself driving someone to an unknown address. The first time was a hotel near Heathrow! (Need I say more.) If you've ever ventured off the motorways to get anywhere near an address in this area then you know what I mean!
Traffic never flows slow enough to allow for dithering!
Today, armed with pages of printed out maps of various magnifications my travel companion took her job seriously, even pausing in conversation when we came to junctions to check they weren't the ones we needed to turn off. I could sense her tension and the pressure she felt to not go wrong! A stark contrast to the last (Aussie) companion who informed me within a brush of a junction that we should have gone off! My response to both companions having taken wrong junctions, was one of calm and collected humour verging on hysteria. Having driven more years than I care to recall and having taken more wrong turns and missed junctions than I dare admit, I am now of the disposition when faced with unknown journeys to consider each route an adventure to be discovered. There's always something round the corner. Whether miles of country road without a house in sight and no turning space or a spaghetti type junction with speeding cars, when faced with either scenario I can somehow dig deep for humour thus lightening the pressure so many of my companions obviously feel.
As we returned from our destination, still with a sense of euphoria at having arrived and retunred in one piece before midnight, my companion turned to me and commented how laid back I was and totally unstressed or phased by the challenge. Me? I enjoyed every hysterical moment.

No comments: