Tuesday 9 December 2008

Post office pantomime


Has anyone tried buying a second class Christmas stamp of the 'religious' variety from the Post Office? One would think that on 9th December one wouldn't get a hard time for requesting them, especially as there is a week to go before the official last date of posting. I think customer services was sadly lacking when I went into my local branch earlier today.
No one was more surprised than me that in a season of supposed good cheer there was such a frosty reception to my innocent request for the religious version NOT the pantomime version. What unfolded was worthy of any pantomime I have ever seen.
I asked if they were likely to order any in and was told that it was too late as they take a week to arrive and by then it would be the last posting day for 2nd class stamps. I was incredulous! Surely a Post Office was able to obtain the services of Royal Mail to get some sent much quicker!
At this moment a second cashier appeared behind the toughened glass screen, glaring at me icily, she informed me in a superior manner, 'They've been on sale since the 5th November', as if it was MY fault for not buying stamps in November and that I should be ashamed of myself. Now I had not just one cashier but two who were staring at me with venom and obviously angry with me!
I have to say that it was at this point I realised I might not have been the first person to request 'religious; stamps after they had run out. It was obviously an issue which made them incredibly defensive. Their reaction was disproportionate to the request and their aggression uncalled for. Trying to diffuse the situation and aware of a growing queue behind me at the counter I calmly and gently apologised for causing them offence and quietly explained that they shouldn't take it personally. At this point a tirade of bitter venom errupted from the cashier,' Well that's very surprising because we're always getting stabbed in the back'.
I was growing more horrified as I realised that I might not be able to leave this battle zone unbloodied by attack. All I wanted was stamps for my Christmas cards! The anticipation and essence of joy at buying Christmas stamps for cards aimed at sending wishes of peace, joy and goodwill to all men had evaporated leaving me with a sour taste in the mouth. I made a second attempt to walk away from the till, 'You could buy first class stamps, we've got lots of those' he shouted to me. I moved back to the counter, 'Thank you ' I said, 'If I don' t manage to get any 2nd class stamps I'll come back.' With that I left the building having no intention of ever stepping in THAT post office again.
You see the fact is, last year this same post Office ran out of 2nd class 'religious' stamps early on in December and I ended up being persuaded to buy 1st class stamps. I had no intention this year of giving the Post Office any more of my money than needed to be or the satisfaction of my custom.
I came home, went on line and ordered 3 sheets of second class madonna and child stamps directly from Royal Mail. Free delivery within 2 days. Perhaps I should go back to my local Post Office and suggest they do the same.....but then again maybe NOT!

No comments: