Sunday 30 November 2008

Amazing what a bit of Face Painting can do


As most parents know, when summer fetes and christmas fayre's come round there is always one poor parent left standing in the rain at the school gate weeks beforehand trying to get support and commitment from other parents. Suitably guilty of having declined many an invitation to help at said events, I found myself for the first time actually available to get involved. I bit the bullet and offered my services, reckoning that if I ticked the 'ANYTHING' box for involvement, it would be sufficient penance for my previous lack.
Imagine my delight when an almost immediate response offered me the task of face painting! I AM the face painting QUEEN! I even have my own kit. Tee hee what JOY!
Yesterday found me happily ensconced in the 'face painting' class room, a space specifically set aside for such purposes. I refused to be put off when I introduced myself to the person who had been doing it for the previous ten years! He confidentally told me that I could come back in an hour and relieve him and the other person allocated the task. 30 minutes in and I was summoned back to the room because there was a queue forming. Trying hard not to be intimidated by the master pieces of face painting that were emerging from the room. My hand shook as I looked down on the first person before me. I could tell by those baby blue eyes that this was a matter of utmost trust and I had never had a 2 year old starnger put so much trust in me before. The responsibility weighed heavy. She eyed me up suspiciously and I felt she knew that I hadn't done this before. (Well...not HERE and in this circumstance.)
I was inspired to ask her name and relieved when 'daddy' was forthcoming. At least I felt I was winning him over! Thank goodness she chose a simple design from the book and I was off. OK, it might not have been the BEST pussy cat in the world and it was a battle to win over my 11 year old daughter who was comparing the thickness of the mask to the others but hey...the child was smiling and daddy was happy.
There was no looking back. I became a hit with the 10- 14 age range by copying a logo from a sweat shirt which apparently is all the rage. A simple cheek design in various colours had me with my own queue! The only hiccup was the child who wanted to be a dinosaur. I had seen the previous dinosaurs and though I could happily apply the green base colour I wasn't sure about the teeth or eye effect! Thankfully the 'expert' became free and I graciously handed over the challenge.
Before I knew it, the end of the day was upon us. I made my way happily home passing, cats, tigers, lions and puff balls content in the knowledge that I had somehow made their day complete.

No comments: