Wednesday 15 May 2013

Transitions



Noun
The process or a period of changing from one state or condition to another.

Transitions are a process! Sometimes we have no control over the changes that happen around us. When we are not in control we can find ourselves fearful and resistant to change. Even when we are in control we can still find ourselves in moments of panic and uncertainty at the changes afoot.
 
Anyone who has given birth knows what it is to experience transition. For me it was that critical period of time when nothing seemed to to be happening. I was tired from riding the pain of contractions and all of a sudden there was a lull. Text book stuff! (Though I know not all women experience the same! )
Just when I was about to give birth I actually wanted to go to sleep! Maybe it was the exhaustion of the 9 months preparation, or maybe it was the drugs! Whatever it was, I had a strong urge to press the pause button, stop the world and get off!

Notionally I had accepted that we were going to have a child, we were happy with the transition from a couple of DINKY's (Dual income no kids yet) to being parents. The fact was we soon realised that we were on a roller coaster of change for which we had no control.
No control over the timing or date of birth, no control over the sex of our child, no control over the personality type of the child...... the preferences of our child....... the skills of our child.....and so on.

When we embark on a journey of change we mostly have no idea how things will turn out. The people we are in our teenage years often bear no resemblance to the adults we become. When we transition jobs we can end up being shaped and transformed into totally different people after a period of time. Ultimately it's to do with the way we react to change, whether we can embrace the 'pain' and the unknown that go hand in hand with changes and come out the other side enriched and expanded as people.

I have been working towards transition in my current role as consultant in an innovative company I have contracted to. As much as I love change I have still found myself in an uncomfortable place. There has been a 9 months research period which has involved writing strategic recommendations and now there is a lull whilst the strategy gets approval. At the this stage I have to confess the strong urge to press the pause button. I've worked hard towards strategising for change and now it's about to happen. There's no getting away from it, DELIVERY is imminent!

So my blogger friends I am currently procrastinating, writing a blog about it, distracting myself every which way and trying not to let the fears surface.  Remembering the lull of transition in the birth process I know what comes next. The time to push will come and after that the graft of those first few months of getting used to the new. Watch this space.

No comments: